Nurturing Great Golfing Performance with Legendary Australian Coach – Alex Mercer
Peter chats with 82 year old Alex Mercer, inaugural chairman of the Australian PGA, and master coach of record breaking NSW State teams, the victorious 1992 New Zealand Eisenhower Cup team and numerous champion golfers including US major winners Steve Elkington and David Graham.
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- Alex’s incredible winning record while 32 years as NSW state amateur and junior golf coach
- Coaching the 1992 New Zealand winning Eisenhower Cup team
- His involvement with country golf
- Coaching David Graham and the incredible determination he had to succeed
- His continued involvement with Steve Elkington
- Importance of trust and confidence junior golfers must have in their coach
- Golf as a lifetime activity
- Why Peter Senior continues to be such a great player
- Golf itself as a great teacher and a philosophy of life
- Working on ‘feel’ and building swing technique into ‘feel’
- Importance of balance and rhythm
- Relaxation, breathing and the lower jaw
- The need for golfers to maintain a positive and confident physical and mental attitude
- Whole body synchronization as a means of fast tracking improvement.
- How to contact Alex
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Key To Golf Podcast on iTunes and Stitcher! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.